Monday, September 15, 2008

Bears, bears, bears

OK, so I've promised you all some more bear photos, but I'm amazed at how busy I am now that I'm "retired." It's hard to sit down in front of a computer when there are other, more interesting things to do. Well, here's a few of them until I feel sufficiently motivated to catch you up on where we're at and what we've been up to.



Now, as I post this next one, I can imagine the collective whispers to the bus driver from all the Alaskans out there who find our tourists oh so endearing each year.
"Let them out...let them out..."
Of course, the bear may be whispering the same thing...



This next picture is of the rare English Pointer Brown Bear. You can't see it, but his tail is straight out as well. This rare bear will stay on point on the fish until it's owner/handler releases him.
OK, maybe not, but this photo reminded me of my brother-in-law Mark's bird dogs, and I couldn't resist...


The next photo answers one of those eternal philosophical queries...


Yes, indeed... a bear does SIT in the woods. Oh and as you can tell, they obviously also stand in the woods. This one is, of course a male caught unawares...



The photo above provides the real explanation as to why most bear maulings occur when a bear is surprised. You see, they don't want you running off and telling everyone how STUPID they look when they're surprised...
(And no, I didn't doctor that photo.)


Finally, if you're not "dazed and confused" at this point, he sure is...

2 comments:

Pat said...

Wonderful photos! Hope you were using a telephoto lens...

Bill said...

I was- the closest I got to them was about 30 yards. While that's ordinarily far too close, these bears have become accustomed to human presence, for as long as you use a little common sense, they keep they're focus on their food supply. My one photo aside, most people get into trouble with bears when they startle them, or accidentally put themselves between mom and cubs. Bottom line, fish taste better than us...